We the ‘Homo Sapience’s’ are known as the civilized breed but are we so? You can get the answer to this question when you google about ‘child sexual abuse’. Ironically it became such a normal word and most of us know about this. If we leave the cases of sexual abuse in the world and talk only about India then you will get some horrifying results.
According to government’s figures, in every 15 minutes, one child faces sexual abuse in India. Because of this figure, India has world’s largest number of child sexual abuse cases. Isn’t this scaring? Here, the more scaring fact is that most of the time that abuser is someone who lives near us. In this case, this becomes our responsibility to teach our kids about “Good and bad touch”.
Expert says that we need to educate our 4 years old kids about good and bad touch. Parents and teachers both can talk to kids about this matter as kids trust both of them. Here we are introducing some ways to teach your kid about “Good and bad touch”.
- Have a healthy conversation: As a parent, I can understand that talking to your kid of such tender age about this matter is not a cake walk but don’t force this discussion on your kid. Don’t make it do or die situation. Have a healthy discussion with them and don’t force them to be a part of the conversation. You can choose the dinner time or play time of kid to initiate a conversation about this matter.
- Use correct words: While talking to kids about the good and bad touch don’t use ‘pee-pee’ and ‘poo-poo’ type of words for their private body parts. Remember you are talking about some very serious subject and when you choose these words than kid may feel that talking about private body parts is not a right thing.
- Ownership of body: Educate your kids that your body belongs to them only and no one can touch it without their permission. Tell them that they have the right to refuse any hug, tap on back or kiss that they are not comfortable in.
- The undergarment rules: This is a very easy way to teach the kids about ‘good and bad touch’. Tell them that all the body parts covered under the undergarments are not supposed to be touched by anyone and if anyone does so, ask them to tell you about this.
- Teach them to say ‘NO’: We usually teach our kids to be polite with strangers, but I prefer that being safe is far better than being polite. Teach them to say ‘No’ if they feel uncomfortable with someone’s touch. And if you kid is not polite to someone then ask him about the reason of this instead of scolding him, that’s how you can have a strong bond of trust with your kid.
- Teach them about safe touch: While educating your kid about bad touch do teach him/her about safe touch as well. Tell the kid that the touch of mother, father, and doctor is safe; no one apart of them can ask them to remove their undergarments.
Teaching our kids about good and bad touch is really a tough task, it exhausts you emotionally. But it is their right to be safe and awareness is the only way to make them safe as evil lurks around us.